What happened in history on this day: October 10?|
On October 10 in ...
- 1908 - Baseball Writers Association forms.
- 1920 - Cleveland Indians' Bill Wambsganns makes first unassisted World Series triple play (World Series #17).
- 1920 - Cleveland Indians' Elmer Smith hits the first world series grand slam (World Series #17).
- 1920 - Chicago Cardinals play first APFA game, a 0-0 tie.
- 1921 - NFL Decatur Staleys become Chicago Staleys, win 14-10.
- 1923 - New York Giants and New York Yankees become first teams to play each other for three consecutive World Series, also first played at Yankee Stadium (World Series #20).
- 1924 - Washington Senators win their first World Series beating New York Giants in 7 (World Series #21).
- 1926 - Saint Louis Cardinals beat New York Yankees, 4 games to three in 23rd World Series.
- 1931 - AJ Bennett hits H Garbarino for first scoring pass in Canada's Big 4.
- 1931 - Saint Louis Cardinals beat Philadelphia Athletics, four games to three in 28th World Series.
- 1937 - New York Yankees beat New York Giants four games to one in 34th World Series.
- 1945 - Detroit Tigers beat Chicago Cubs, 4 games to 3 in 42nd World Series.
- 1951 - New York Yankees beat New York Giants four games to two in world series, Joe DiMaggio's final game (World Series #48).
- 1957 - Milwaukee Braves beat New York Yankees, 4 games to 3 in 54th World Series.
- 1960 - Ron Stewart of Ottawa Rough Riders rushes for Canadian Football League-record 287 yards.
- 1964 - (to October 24) The Games of the XVIII Olympiad are held in Tokyo, Japan.
- 1968 - Detroit Tigers beat Saint Louis Cardinals, 4 games to 3 in 65th World Series.
- 1971 - First game played at Philadelphia's Veteran Stadium, Philadelphia Phillies win 4-1.
- 1973 - In the fifth and deciding game, the New York Mets win the National League pennant beating the Cincinnati Reds, 7-2.
- 1976 - Greece's 98-year-old Dimitrion Yordanidis is oldest man to compete in a marathon; he finishes in 7:33.
- 1976 - New Jersey Meadowlands' (New York Giants) Stadium opens.
- 1979 - Quebec Nordiques' Real Cloutier sets NHL record of a hat trick in first game.
- 1980 - New York Yankees lose 4-2 and are swept by Kansas City Royals in the American League Championship series.
Births of sports figures on October 10
- 1946 - Birth of Peter Mahvolich; NHL star (Montreal Canadiens).
- 1953 - Birth of Gus Williams; NBA guard (Golden State, Seattle SuperSonics, Washington Wizards).
- 1964 - Birth of Maxi Gnauck in the German Democratic Republic; uneven parallel bars (Olympic-gold-1980).
- 1985 - Birth of Dominique Cornu; Belgian professional cyclist.
- 1987 - Birth of Stefan Bailey; English football player.
Deaths of sports figures on October 10
- 1978 - Death of Ralph Metcalfe at age 68, American athlete, politician (Representative-Democrat-Illinois) (born 1910).
You can pick a particular day to view that day's events in history.
Bookmark this URL: http://thisdayinhistoryinfo.info/sports/ and revisit each day.
(this URL will automatically re-direct to the file containing the current day's events)
Or, visit my Timelines of History page.
Other web pages of interest:Chronology of World History
Today in Disney History
Today in USA History
Today in Personal Computer and Video Game History