What happened in history on this day: February 26?|
On February 26 in ...
- 1839 - Jem Mason riding on Lottery horse wins first Grand National Steeplechase (Britain).
- 1887 - George Lohmann takes first 8-wicket haul in Test Crickets, 8-35 at Sydney Cricket Ground.
- 1893 - Einar Halvorsen skates world record 500 metre (48 seconds).
- 1918 - Stands at Hong Kong Jockey Club collapse and burn, killing 604.
- 1930 - West Indies make first Test Cricket win, by 289 runs over England.
- 1935 - New York Yankees release Babe Ruth, he signs with Boston Braves.
- 1938 - Rie Van Veen swims world record 200 metre free-style (2:24.6).
- 1938 - US female Figure Skating championship won by Joan Tozzer.
- 1938 - US male Figure Skating championship won by Robin Lee.
- 1941 - Two fighters unable to continue slugfest, referee declares double knockout.
- 1956 - Betsy Rawls wins LPGA Sarasota Golf Open.
- 1960 - USA's David Jenkins wins the Olympics Gold for men's figure skating.
- 1962 - Wilt Chamberlain of NBA Philadelphia Warriors scores 67 points vs New York Jets.
- 1973 - Triple Crown horse Secretariat bought for a record US$5.7 million.
- 1978 - Nancy Lopez wins LPGA Bent Tree Golf Classic.
- 1980 - R Hadlee scores Test Cricket century versus Roberts, Garner, Holding, Croft.
- 1981 - Boston Bruins and Minnesota North Stars play most penalty-filled NHL game-406 minutes total.
- 1982 - Test Cricket debut of Martin Crowe, versus Australia Wellington, run out 9.
- 1986 - Evert van Benthem wins 14th Frisian 11-Cities skating race (6:55:16).
- 1987 - NBA's Michael Jordan's 58 points is a Chicago Bulls' record.
- 1987 - Washington Bullets block 20 Indiana Pacers shots tying NBA regulation game record.
- 1988 - Christa Rotherburger (German Democratic Republic) skates ladies world record 1000 metre (1:17.65).
- 1989 - Betsy King wins LPGA Women's Kemper Golf Open/Helene Curtis Pro-Am.
- 1989 - California court throws out most of Margo Adams's US$12 million breach-of-contract suit against Boston Red Sox third baseman Wade Boggs.
- 1989 - New York Yankees announce that Tom Seaver is their new TV sportscaster.
- 1991 - Asanka Gurusinha scores twin Test Cricket tons versus New Zealand (119 and 102).
- 1991 - Bill Veeck and Tony Lazzeri are elected to Baseball Hall of Fame.
- 1991 - New York-New Jersey Knights (WLAF) players first come together.
- 1993 - Allan Border beats Gavaskar's record for most Test Cricket runs 10,123.
- 1994 - NHL's Saint Louis Blues beat Ottawa Senators 11-1.
- 1998 - Steven M Gluckstern completes sale of New York Islanders.
Births of sports figures on February 26
- 1887 - Birth of Grover Cleveland Alexander; Hall of Fame baseball pitcher (Philadelphia Phillies, Chicago Cubs).
- 1916 - Birth of Ross Gregory; cricket player (Australian batsman 1936-37, died in WWII).
- 1918 - Birth of Edwin Charles Roe AKA The Preacher; baseball pitcher (Brooklyn Dodgers).
- 1919 - Birth of Hendrika Mastenbroek; 100 metre/400 metre freestyle swimmer (Olympics-gold-1936).
- 1920 - Birth of A W [Rie] Kuiper-Mastenbroek in Netherlands; swimmer (Olympics-3 gold-1936).
- 1922 - Birth of Bill Johnston; cricket pace bowler (mighty Australian lefty post-war).
- 1928 - Birth of Everton Weekes; West Indian cricket player (one of the three W's).
- 1934 - Birth of Ron Gaunt; cricket player (Australian fast bowler late 50s early 60s).
- 1941 - Birth of Keith Thomson; cricket player (batted in two Tests New Zealand versus India 1968).
- 1946 - Birth of Bobby "Bingo" Smith; NBA star (Cleveland Cavaliers).
- 1957 - Birth of Connie Carpenter-Phinney in Madison, Wisconsin, USA; 79k cyclist (Olympics-gold-1984).
- 1957 - Birth of Keena Rothhammer; American 800-metre freestyle swimmer (Olympics-gold-1972).
- 1962 - Birth of Sheila Cornell in Encino, Florida, USA; softball infielder (Olympics-gold-1996).
- 1965 - Birth of Donald Narcisse; Canadian Football League receiver (Saskatchewan Roughriders).
- 1965 - Birth of Matt Jackson in Birmingham, Michigan, USA; Canadian Tour golfer (1994 Payless).
- 1966 - Birth of Wesley Walls; NFL tight end (Carolina Panthers, San Francisco 49ers, New Orleans Saints).
- 1967 - Birth of David Howard in Sarasota, Florida, USA; infielder (Kansas City Royals).
- 1967 - Birth of Roman Fortin; NFL center (Atlanta Falcons).
- 1967 - Birth of Scott Service; US baseball pitcher (Cincinnati Reds).
- 1968 - Birth of Brendan Rogers; Canadian Football League linebacker (Toronto Argonauts).
- 1968 - Birth of Chris Green; NFL safety (Buffalo Bills).
- 1968 - Birth of J T Snow in Long Beach, California, USA; infielder (New York Yankees, California Angels).
- 1968 - Birth of Leif Rohlin in Vasteras, Sweden; NHL defenseman (Vancouver Canucks).
- 1968 - Birth of René Groen; soccer player (SC Heerenveen).
- 1969 - Birth of Brandon Wilson; US baseball infielder (Chicago White Sox).
- 1970 - Birth of Ben Maruquin in Ventura, California, USA; field hockey sweeper (Olympics-1996).
- 1970 - Birth of Sasha Danilovic; NBA guard (Miami Heat).
- 1971 - Birth of Rick Lyle; defensive end/defensive tackle (New York Jets).
- 1972 - Birth of Clint McDaniel; NBA guard (Sacramento Kings).
- 1972 - Birth of Scott Turner; NFL cornerback/safety (Washington Redskins).
- 1973 - Birth of Jenny Thompson in Danvers, Massachusetts, USA; 400 metre freestyle (Olympics-gold-1992, 1996).
- 1973 - Birth of Marshall Faulk; NFL running back (Indianapolis Colts).
- 1974 - Birth of Ron Fox; soccer player (Willem II).
- 1975 - Birth of Cindy Werley in Allentown, Pennsylvania; field hockey forward/midfielder (Olympics-1996).
- 1975 - Birth of Mike Wilson Brampton; NHL defenseman (Buffalo Sabres).
- 1977 - Birth of Tim Thomas; NBA forward (Philadelphia 76ers).
Deaths of sports figures on February 26
- 1971 - Edward van der Merwe, cricket keeper (South Africa in two Tests in 1930s), dies.
- 1990 - Leslie Ames, cricket player (47 Tests, 2434 runs 8 centuries), dies.
- 1992 - Gerrit Schulte "Crazy Cyclist", Dutch 6-days bicyclist, dies at age 76.
- 1992 - Jean R Yawkey, baseball team owner (Boston Red Sox), dies of a stroke at age 83.
You can pick a particular day to view that day's events in history.
Bookmark this URL: http://thisdayinhistoryinfo.info/sports/ and revisit each day.
(this URL will automatically re-direct to the file containing the current day's events)
Or, visit my Timelines of History page.
Other web pages of interest:Chronology of World History
Today in Disney History
Today in USA History
Today in Personal Computer and Video Game History