What happened in history on this day: March 10?|
On March 10 in ...
- 1888 - Heavyweight Boxing champion John L Sullivan draws Charlie Mitchell in 30 rounds.
- 1896 - After Bob Fitzsimmons knocks out much larger Jim Corbett to win world heavyweight championship he says, "The bigger they are, the harder they fall".
- 1903 - Stanley Cup: Ottawa Silver Seven sweep Montréal AAA in two games.
- 1909 - Jack Johnson fights Victor McLaglen to no decision in six for boxing title.
- 1913 - Stanley Cup: Québec Bulldogs sweep Sydney Miners in two games.
- 1913 - William Knox becomes first in American Bowling Congress to bowl 300.
- 1920 - NHL's Québec Bulldogs' Jim Malone scores six goals versus Ottawa Senators.
- 1934 - Longest undefeated streak in Toronto Maple Leafs history (18 games).
- 1934 - US Ladies Figure Skating Championship won by Suzanne Davis.
- 1934 - US Men's Figure Skating Championship won by Roger Turner.
- 1941 - Larry MacPhail, Brooklyn Dodgers' general manager, predicts all players will wear batting helmets.
- 1949 - Detroit Tigers' pitcher Art Houtteman is critically injured in an auto accident but recovers to win 15 games in 1949.
- 1951 - FBI director J Edgar Hoover declines post of baseball commissioner.
- 1957 - Thousands of soccer fans riot in Italy.
- 1959 - Dorothy Comiskey Rigney sells 54 percent of Chicago White Sox to Bill Veeck.
- 1962 - Due to its no black policy, Philadelphia Phillies leave Jack Tar Harrison Hotel and move to Rocky Point Motel, 20 miles outside Clearwater, Florida.
- 1963 - Pete Rose debuts with hits in his two first at bats in spring training.
- 1963 - Wilt Chamberlain of NBA San Francisco Warriors scores 70 points versus Syracuse.
- 1966 - Five-time Horse of the Year, Kelso, retires.
- 1970 - South Africa complete 4-0 series drubbing of Australia.
- 1973 - BPAA US Open won by Mike McGrath.
- 1974 - Carol Mann wins LPGA S&H Green Stamp Golf Classic.
- 1974 - Lawrence Rowe completes 302 versus England Bridgetown, 36 fours 1 six.
- 1982 - Salim Malik scores 100 in second inning of Test Cricket debut (v SL).
- 1982 - Travis Jackson and Happy Chandler elected to Baseball Hall of Fame.
- 1983 - Walter Alston, Los Angeles Dodgers manager, elected to Hall of Fame.
- 1985 - Bonnie Lauer wins Uniden LPGA Golf Invitational.
- 1985 - Dallas Mavericks' coach Dick Motta is fourth NBA coach to win 700 games.
- 1985 - India beats Pakistan to win "World Championship of Cricket".
- 1985 - World Ice Dance Championship in Tokyo won by Natalia Bestemianova and Andrei Bukin (USSR).
- 1985 - World Ice Pairs Figure Skating Championship in Tokyo won by Elena Valova and Oleg Vasiliev (USSR).
- 1985 - World Ladies Figure Skating Championship in Tokyo won by Katarina Witt (German Democratic Republic).
- 1985 - World Men's Figure Skating Championship in Tokyo won by Alexandr Fadeev (USSR).
- 1986 - Ernie Lombardi, National League Most Valuable Player in 1938, and Bobby Doerr, elected to Baseball Hall of Fame.
- 1988 - New York Islanders celebrate Mike Bossy night.
- 1990 - World Ice Dance Championship in Halifax won by Marina Klimova and Sergei Ponomarenko (USSR).
- 1990 - World Ice Pairs Figure Skating Championship in Halifax won by Ekaterina Gordeeva and Sergei Grinkov (USSR).
- 1990 - World Ladies Figure Skating Championship in Halifax won by Jill Trenary (USA).
- 1990 - World Men's Figure Skating Championship in Halifax won by Kurt Browning (Canada).
- 1991 - Eddie Sutton is first NCAA coach to lead four schools into playoffs.
- 1991 - Laura Davies wins LPGA Inamori Golf Classic.
- 1991 - Marc Girardelli of Luxembourg clinches his fourth slalom World Cup.
- 1991 - Merlene Ottey runs world record 200 metre indoor (22.24 seconds).
- 1991 - Rico Lieder, Jens Carlowitz, Karsten Just, and Thomas Schönlebe walk 4x400 metre indoor world record (3:03.05).
- 1992 - Sandra Seuser, Katrin Schreiter, Annet Hesselbarth, and Grit Breuer walk female indoor world record 4x400 metre (3:07.22).
- 1995 - Citing the labor unrest as the reason, former Chicago Bulls' great Michael Jordan announces he is leaving baseball to return to the NBA.
- 2006 - In the World Baseball Classic, Netherlands rout Panama, 10-0. The game is called after seven innings because of the mercy rule: a 10-run lead after seven innings.
Births of sports figures on March 10
- 1908 - Birth of Kristian Palusalu in Finland; heavyweight wrestler (Olympics-gold-1936).
- 1914 - Birth of Chandler Harper; golfer (1950 PGA champion).
- 1923 - Birth of Ara Parseghian; football coach (Northwestern, Notre Dame).
- 1926 - Birth of Marques Haynes; NBA hall of famer (Harlem Globetrotters).
- 1928 - Birth of Arthur Milton; cricket player (England opening batsman late 1950s).
- 1932 - Birth of Anatoliy Roschin in USSR; super heavyweight wrestler (Olympics-gold-1972).
- 1937 - Birth of Tamara Press in USSR; shot putter (Olympics-gold-1960, 1964).
- 1938 - Birth of Ijaz Butt; cricket player (Pakistani opening batsman in 8 Tests 1958-60).
- 1938 - Birth of Ron Mix; NFL tackle (San Diego Chargers, Oakland Raiders).
- 1939 - Birth of Irina Press in USSR; 80 metre hurdles/pentathlete (Olympics-gold-1960, 1964).
- 1941 - Birth of Sandra Palmer in Fort Worth, Texas, USA; LPGA golfer (1986 Mayflower Classic).
- 1948 - Birth of Austin Carr; NBA star (Cleveland Cavaliers).
- 1956 - Birth of Janet Anderson in West Sunbury, Pennsylvania, USA; LPGA golfer (1982 US Women's Open).
- 1957 - Birth of Adolfo Horta in Camaguey, Cuba; heavyweight boxer (Olympics-silver-1980).
- 1960 - Birth of Linda Jezek in California, USA; backstroke swimmer (Pan Am Gold-1979).
- 1961 - Birth of Jesse Sapolu; NFL guard (San Francisco 49ers).
- 1961 - Birth of Mitch Gaylord in Van Nuys, California, USA; gymnast (Olympics 1984)/actor (American Anthem).
- 1962 - Birth of Andre Waters; NFL safety (Arizona Cardinals).
- 1963 - Birth of John Cangelosi in Brooklyn, New York, USA; outfielder (Houston Astros).
- 1964 - Birth of Greg Campbell; cricket player (Aussie pace-bowler 1989-90).
- 1965 - Birth of Paul Masotti; Canadian Football League receiver (Toronto Argonauts).
- 1965 - Birth of Rod Woodson; NFL cornerback/kick returner (Pittsburgh Steelers, San Francisco 49ers).
- 1966 - Birth of Michael Timlin in Midland, Texas, USA; pitcher (Toronto Blue Jays).
- 1967 - Birth of Derrick Graham; guard (Seattle Seahawks).
- 1969 - Birth of Jay Hillmann; WLAF running back (Rhein Fire).
- 1969 - Birth of Stephen Leaney in Australia; Canadian Tour golfer (1993 Infinit TPC-7th).
- 1970 - Birth of Antonio Edwards; NFL defensive end (Seattle Seahawks).
- 1971 - Birth of Frank Habermann; WLAF defensive linebacker (Rhein Fire).
- 1971 - Birth of Morris Unutoa; corner (Philadelphia Eagles).
- 1971 - Birth of Shad Williams in Fresno, California, USA; pitcher (California Angels).
- 1972 - Birth of Jack Kellogg; WLAF cornerback (Frankfurt Galaxy).
- 1975 - Birth of Stefan Bergkvist in Leksand, Sweden; NHL defenseman (Pittsburgh Penguins).
- 1977 - Birth of Shannon Miller in Rolla, Missouri; gymnast (Olympics-2 gold/2 silver/3 bronze-1992, 1996).
- 1982 - Birth of Kwame Brown; American basketball player.
Deaths of sports figures on March 10
- 1988 - Glenn Cunningham, US world record miler, dies at age 78.
- 1995 - Richard Baerlein, racing writer, dies at age 84.
You can pick a particular day to view that day's events in history.
Bookmark this URL: http://thisdayinhistoryinfo.info/sports/ and revisit each day.
(this URL will automatically re-direct to the file containing the current day's events)
Or, visit my Timelines of History page.
Other web pages of interest:Chronology of World History
Today in Disney History
Today in USA History
Today in Personal Computer and Video Game History