What happened in history on this day: May 2?|
On May 2 in ...
- 1876 - In Cincinnati, Ohio, Chicago's Ross Barnes hits the first home run in the history of baseball's National League.
- 1903 - 29th Kentucky Derby: Hal Booker aboard Judge Himes wins in 2:09.
- 1904 - 30th Kentucky Derby: Shorty Prior aboard Elwood wins in 2:08.5.
- 1906 - 32nd Kentucky Derby: Roscoe Troxler aboard Sir Huon wins in 2:08.8.
- 1909 - Honus Wagner steals his way around bases in first inning against Chicago Cubs.
- 1917 - Cincinnati Reds' Fred Tooney and Chicago White Sox' Hippo Vaughn pitch duel no-hitter, Vaughn gives up two hits and a run in the 10th, so Cincinnati wins 1-0.
- 1920 - First game of National Negro Baseball League played in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- 1923 - Senator Walter Johnson pitches his 100th shutout, beats New York Yankees 3-0.
- 1930 - Des Moines (Western League) defeats Wichita 13-6 in baseball to open first ballpark with permanently installed lights.
- 1936 - 62nd Kentucky Derby: Ira Hanford aboard Bold Venture wins in 2:03.6.
- 1939 - Lou Gehrig ends 2,130 consecutive game streak, New York Yankees beat Detroit Tigers 22-2.
- 1942 - 68th Kentucky Derby: Wayne D Wright aboard Shut Out wins in 2:04.4.
- 1949 - Don Newcombe, first start, shuts out Cincinnati Reds on five hits to win 3-0.
- 1953 - 79th Kentucky Derby: Hank Moreno aboard Dark Star wins in 2:02.
- 1954 - Stan Musial hits five homeruns in a doubleheader.
- 1958 - New York Yankees threaten to broadcast games nationwide if National League goes ahead with plans to broadcast games into New York City.
- 1959 - 85th Kentucky Derby: Bill Shoemaker aboard Tomy Lee wins in 2:02.2.
- 1962 - Benfica wins 7th Europe Cup I.
- 1964 - 90th Kentucky Derby: Bill Hartack aboard Northern Dancer wins in 2:00.
- 1965 - Kathy Whitworth wins LPGA Shreveport Kiwanis Golf Invitational.
- 1965 - Marilynn Smith wins LPGA Peach Blossom Golf Open.
- 1967 - Stanley Cup: Toronto Maple Leafs beat Montreal Canadiens, 4 games to 2.
- 1968 - 22nd NBA Championship: Boston Celtics beat Los Angeles Lakers, 4 games to 2.
- 1970 - 96th Kentucky Derby: Mike Manganello on Dust Commander wins 2:03.4.
- 1971 - Sandra Haynie wins LPGA Dallas Civitan Golf Open.
- 1976 - Joanne Carner wins LPGA Lady Tara Golf Classic.
- 1978 - NBA championship: Portland Trail Blazers win in four games.
- 1981 - 107th Kentucky Derby: Jorge Velasquez on Pleasant Colony wins in 2:02.
- 1982 - Beth Daniel wins LPGA Birmingham Golf Classic.
- 1984 - Mattingly's single breaks up Lamarr Hoyt's perfect game bid.
- 1984 - Cleveland Indians' Andre Thornton ties record for most walks (6 in 16 innings).
- 1986 - Dynamo Kiev wins 26th Europe Cup II.
- 1987 - 113th Kentucky Derby: Chris McCarron aboard Alysheba wins in 2:03.4.
- 1988 - Baltimore Orioles sign a 15-year lease to remain in Baltimore and get a new park.
- 1988 - Cincinnati Reds manager Pete Rose is suspended for 30 days for pushing an umpire.
- 1992 - 118th Kentucky Derby: Pat Day aboard Lil E Tee wins in 2:03.
- 1993 - Kristi Albers wins Sprint Golf Classic.
- 1993 - Sandra Palmer wins LPGA Sprint Senior Challenge Golf Tournament.
- 1995 - Montreal Expos bat out of order against New York Mets in 6th inning.
- 1998 - 124th Kentucky Derby: Kent Desormeaux aboard Real Quiet wins in 2:02.4.
- 2005 - Trailing 9-3 after eight innings, the Saint Louis Cardinals mount their greatest ninth-inning comeback in franchise history defeating the Cincinnati Reds 10-9 at the Great American Ballpark.
- 2009 - At Churchill Downs, the 135th running of the Kentucky Derby horse race takes place. Canadian horse Mine That Bird wins, the second-biggest upset in Derby history.
Births of sports figures on May 2
- 1887 - Birth of Edward Collins New York, USA; Hall of Fame infielder (Chicago White Sox, Athletics).
- 1901 - Birth of Robert Elliott Storey Wyatt; cricket player (England batsman 1927-37).
- 1906 - Birth of Aileen Riggin in Newport, Rhode Island, USA; springboard diver (Olympics-gold-1920, 1924).
- 1910 - Birth of Laurie Nash; cricket player (Tasmanian fast-bowler, two Tests for Australia).
- 1914 - Birth of Dennis Dyer; cricket player (opened batting for South Africa versus England 1947).
- 1925 - Birth of David Ironside; cricket player (South Africa swing bowler in 3 Tests versus New Zealand 1953-54).
- 1929 - Birth of Sydney Gedye; cricket player (opening batsman in four Tests for New Zealand 1964).
- 1940 - Birth of Bryan Davis; cricket player (brother of Charlie; West Indies batsman versus Australia 1965).
- 1953 - Birth of "Keith" Jamaal Wilkes; NBA forward (Golden State-Rookie of Year 1975).
- 1955 - Birth of Ian Callen; cricket player (one Test Australia versus India 1978, six wickets).
- 1960 - Birth of Ravi Ratnayeke; cricket player (Sri Lankan pace bowler and opening batsman).
- 1962 - Birth of Nancy Harvey in Swift Current, Saskatchewan, Canada; LPGA golfer (1995 Youngstown-11th).
- 1963 - Birth of Jos van Eck; Dutch soccer player (Sparta).
- 1963 - Birth of Kenton Leonard; Canadian Football League cornerback (Calgary Stampeders).
- 1964 - Birth of Kelly Michael Gibson in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA; PGA golfer (1995 Bob Hope-7th).
- 1967 - Birth of Kerryn McCann; Australian marathon runner (Olympics-1996).
- 1968 - Birth of Reggie Slack; Canadian Football League quarterback (Saskatchewan Roughriders).
- 1968 - Birth of Will Furrer; WLAF quarterback (Amsterdam Admirals).
- 1969 - Birth of Brian Lara; cricket player (West Indies left-hand bat, smashed world records in 1994).
- 1969 - Birth of Glen Young; NFL linebacker (San Diego Chargers).
- 1971 - Birth of Greg Bishop; NFL guard (New York Giants).
- 1972 - Birth of Erik Maes; Dutch soccer player (MVV).
- 1972 - Birth of Jill Savery in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA; synchronized swimmer (Olympics-gold-1996).
- 1972 - Birth of Peter Ogilvie in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada; 100 metre sprinter (Olympics-1996).
- 1973 - Birth of Rich Yurkiewicz; NFL/WLAF linebacker (Atlanta Falcons, Amsterdam Admirals).
- 1974 - Birth of Miles Joseph in West Springfield, Massachusetts, USA; soccer forward (Olympics-gold-1996).
- 1975 - Birth of Mark Johnson in Dayton, Ohio; baseball pitcher (Olympics-bronze-1996).
- 1975 - Birth of Murray William Burdan in Wellington, New Zealand; swimmer (Olympics-1996).
- 1977 - Birth of Amy D'Entremont in Stonehamm, Massachusetts; figure skater (1995 New England Junior champion).
Deaths of sports figures on May 2
- 1961 - J C White, cricket player (49 wickets in 15 Tests for England 1921-31), dies.
- 1963 - Jack Crawford, cricket player (469 runs and 39 wickets in 12 Tests), dies.
- 1980 - Clarrie Grimmett, cricket player (36 Tests for Australia, 216 wickets), dies.
You can pick a particular day to view that day's events in history.
Bookmark this URL: http://thisdayinhistoryinfo.info/sports/ and revisit each day.
(this URL will automatically re-direct to the file containing the current day's events)
Or, visit my Timelines of History page.
Other web pages of interest:Chronology of World History
Today in Disney History
Today in USA History
Today in Personal Computer and Video Game History