What happened in history on this day: June 21?|
On June 21 in ...
- 1900 - Brooklyn Dodgers score 7 in top of 11th to go ahead of Philadelphia Phillies, 20-13; in bottom of 11th Phillies stall so umpire forfeits game to Dodgers.
- 1916 - Boston Red Sox pitcher Rube Forster no-hits New York Yankees, 2-0.
- 1930 - Babe Ruth hits three home runs as New York Yankees blow 6-0 lead in 7th and lose 15-7.
- 1937 - The BBC televises coverage of the Wimbledon tennis Championships for the first time.
- 1939 - Doctors reveal Lou Gehrig has amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
- 1954 - John Landy beats Roger Bannister's mile record by 0.014 seconds.
- 1970 - Brazil wins last Jules Rimet Trophy soccer championship.
- 1988 - Los Angeles Lakers beats Detroit Pistons, for the NBA championship.
- 1991 - New York Islanders Denis Potvan and Michael Bossy inducted into NHL Hall of Fame.
- 2009 - Three-year-old colt "Eye of the Leopard" wins the 150th running of the Queen's Plate horse race in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- 2009 - Peugeot finishes first and second in the Le Mans 24-hour car race.
Births of sports figures on June 21
- 1930 - Birth of Mike McCormack; NFL offensive tackle (New York Yankees, Cleveland Indians, Philadelphia Phillies).
- 1956 - Birth of Mikhail Burtsev in the USSR; sabres (Olympic-gold-1976).
- 1956 - Birth of Rick Sutcliffe; pitcher (Los Angeles Dodgers, Chicago Cubs).
- 1959 - Birth of Tom Chambers; NBA forward, center (Seattle SuperSonics, Phoenix Suns).
Deaths of sports figures on June 21
- 1973 - Frank Leahy, football coach (Notre Dame), dies at age 64.
You can pick a particular day to view that day's events in history.
Bookmark this URL: http://thisdayinhistoryinfo.info/sports/ and revisit each day.
(this URL will automatically re-direct to the file containing the current day's events)
Or, visit my Timelines of History page.
Other web pages of interest:Chronology of World History
Today in Disney History
Today in USA History
Today in Personal Computer and Video Game History